Synch your browser

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Synch your browser

Do you use Firefox? Do you work with multiple machines? Do you bookmark on one machine, then while working on another wish that you had that bookmark available? Well, Google has the answer to your problem. They've just released "Google Browser Synch" that synchronizes your firefox bookmarks and setting across all of your machines.

I haven't tried it yet, but I think I might give it a go since I run firefox and use 3 machines (work, home & laptop).

2 Comments:

At 6/17/2006 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I installed this immediately because I have to work on several computers and synching my favorites is a nightmare. Google Browser Synch sounds like a godsend; unfortunatley, it's so badly planned that it's an even worse nightmare, and I uninstalled it after less than 24 hours. The problems come when you start wanting to remove favorites -- it's not possible. I spent the whole afternoon tidying up and reorganizing my favorites on my laptop (over 1500), but as soon as I shut down Firefox it "synched" away merrily. All my work was hosed and everything was automatically restored to the original setup that had previously been stored on the Google server when I synched my desktop machine. There appears to be no way to prevent this behavior -- you always get the maximum, everything stored on the server that's not on the Firefox installation being synched automatically gets added. Worse, if there's even the slightest difference in folders with the same name you get endless multiple folders with almost identical content.

This isn't beta software, it's early alpha and the programmers haven't really thought about what they're doing yet. Handle with EXTREME caution!!

 
At 6/20/2006 8:46 AM, Blogger Simon Heseltine said...

Thanks for the warning, I haven't got around to playing with this yet...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home